International gambling is legal
Perhaps the most important rule to remember is that international gambling is always legal for Canadians. This as long as they meet the minimum age requirements and any other stipulations.
Legislation in the country is constantly changing. It’s well worth monitoring the rules relating to internet gambling because what is currently not permitted could be altered very quickly.
So what is the legal minimum age to gamble online if you’re Canadian?
With the exception of three provinces, 19 is the legal minimum gambling age within Canada. The three provinces that are exceptions to the rule are Quebec, Manitoba and Alberta – in these provinces 18 is the legal age. In fact, these rules apply to both online casinos and land casinos. However, there are some stipulations about different types of gambling within each province.
Still, as there is no real legal precedent with regards to online gambling. Some people see Canada as a haven for internet players: particularly players who are aged 21 or less.
What about the different rules in different provinces?
Here is a breakdown of the different rules that apply in different provinces:
- Alberta: The minimum gambling age here is 18. On land the legal forms of gambling include horse betting, lotteries and casinos.
- British Columbia: Here the minimum age is 19. Internet gambling that is officially government sanctioned and legal in the province includes the British Columbia Lottery Corporation casino site. It features games such as craps, bingo, poker, blackjack, slots and sports betting.
- Labrador: Here the minimum age is 19. Internet government-sanctioned gambling includes the state lottery.
- Manitoba: Minimum age here is 18 with the British Columbia Lottery Corporation online casino site being government sanctioned.
- New Brunswick: Here the minimum age is 19 with the state-run lottery being government sanctioned.
- Newfoundland: The state-run lottery is considered legal here too, with the minimum legal age being 19.
- Northwest Territories/Nanavut Territories: Minimum age here is 19 with the state-run lottery being legal.
- Nova Scotia: Minimum gambling age in this province is 19 with the state-run lottery being government sanctioned.
- Ontario: Here the minimum gambling age is 19 with the state-run lottery again being considered officially legal.
- Prince Edward Island: The state-run lottery is considered legal with minimum age being 19.
- Quebec: To gamble here you need to be 18 or older. Government sanctioned legal gambling includes a state-sanctioned online poker game that appears via Loto Quebec as well as the state-run lottery.
- Saskatchewan: The state-run lottery is government sanctioned and the minimum gambling age is 19.
- Yukon: Again the state-run lottery is officially legal and minimum gambling age is 19.